Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Odds and Ends of Hasidism

I learned today that my favorite high school teacher, Bernis von zur Muehlin, was related to Schneur Zalman of Liadi!  And also to Herb Alpert, a trumpeter whose style I tried to copy in my band days.  No WONDER I loved her so! 

Bernis had a great talent for finding beauty in "ordinary" people and also in perhaps less-beautiful emotions.  I was a shy kid with a terrible self image. She encouraged my writing and took photographs of me in which I was stunned to find myself looking fierce and powerful.  I was delighted to also discover she is still exhibiting her photography. 

An essay on a Hasidic rabbi who teaches an Israeli immigrant - a dog: 
http://petandpractice.blogspot.com/2010/12/yes-miky-there-are-rabbis-in-montana.html

For an amusing lecture on Jewish Marriage, watch Rabbi Yosef Jacobson's The Unlikely Couple on Torahcafe.com.  I also liked Dr. Treat's lecture with the same title and have enjoyed everything from Rabbi Manis Friedman.  Also Rivke Slonim gave a wonderful lecture on the mitzvah of mikveh.  I have two dunkings coming up and needed the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment